AWARDS, REWARDS & RECOGNITION
• The Centre was awarded the CSIR Technology Prize for the year 1999 in the area of Computer – aided Analysis and Design, for the development of advanced mathematical modeling and numerical simulation techniques and software development, recognized nationally and internationally.
• The Centre's Wind Engineering R&D work and Technology Transfer on cyclone resistant construction practices won kudos and national level recognition. SERC received the CSIR Shield for Engineering and cyclone disaster mitigation.
• The Centre received the "A.S. Arya – University of Roorkee" Disaster Prevention Award 2000 for significant achievements in Wind Engineering and Cyclone Disaster Mitigation.
• The Centre received ISO-9001 Certificaiton on the 21st of February 2001. This Certification was given by M/s. Registero Italiano Navale India Ltd. (RINA), in recognition of the fact that this Research Centre is adopting and implementing a very structured and systematic approach in all its activities for Research and Development in Structural Engineering besides in Management, Infrastructural and Housekeeping functions. Subsequently, SERC has obtained, during October 2003, the upgradation of ISO Certification to ISO 9001:2000 inclusive of Quality Management.
•Paper on "Meso-scale Approach for modelling Concrete under Compression" authored by Swaminathan K.S., Anandavalli N., Surender S., and Rajasankar J., has been chosen as 'BEST PAPER' for the stream CIVIL and S&H at the International Conference on Emerging Trends in Science, Engineering and Technology (ICETSET-2014) held at Jerusalem College of Engineering, Chennai, April 18-19, 2014.
• The paper titled "Experimental studies on hybrid beam reinforced with steel and BFRP bar" authored by Nachiappan P., Smitha Gopinath, Ramachandra Murthy A., Nagesh R. Iyer, Manju T., won the "BEST PAPER AWARD" in the International Conference on Emerging Trends Science, Engineering and Technology (ICETSET-2014), April 18-19, 2014, Jerusalem College of Engineering, Chennai, pp. 235-237.
• Aysha H., Hemalatha T., Arunachalam N., Ramachandra Murthy A., and Nagesh R Iyer, authored paper entitled, ‘Assessment of Embodied Energy in the Production of Ultra High Performance Concrete (UHPC)’ received the best paper award in the International Conference on Sustainable Technology & Development Conference - 2014 (STDC 2014), Ministry of Manpower Sultanate of Oman, Al Musanna College of Technology, April 2014.
• Jenitha G., Saravanan M., Vishnuvardhan S., and Naresh Babu V., authored technical paper titled ‘Evaluation of cyclic hardening variables for Type 304LN stainless steel’ presented in the National Conference on Futuristic Innovations & Emerging Trends in Civil Engineering held at B.S. Abdur Rahman University, Chennai, during May 5-6, 2014 has been adjuded as the best paper.
• Mohit Verma was awarded the Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral and Professional Research Fellowship, 2013-2014 from August 18, 2013 to May 17, 2014 at University of Buffalo, The State University of New York, Buffalo, New York, under the guidance of Prof. M.V. Sivaselvan & Dr. J. Rajasankar.
• Srinivasan P., recieved the ICI(TNCC)- Ultra Tech Award-2014 - Outstanding thesis in the field of concrete (Doctoral) during the Concrete Day Celebrations on September 18, 2014.
• Dr. M. Ramaiah prize is being awarded to Saptarshi Sasmal, Ramanjaneyulu K., Balthasar Novak and Lakshmanan N., for the best technical paper entitled "Analytical and experimental investigations on seismic performance of exterior beam-column sub-assemblages of existing RC framed building", published in Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol.42, No.12, 2013, pp.1785-1805.
• Dr. M. Ramaiah prize is being awarded to Vishnuvardhan S., Raghava G., Gandhi P., Saravanan M., Sumit Goyal, Punit Arora, Suneel K. Gupta and Vivek Bhasin, for the best technical paper entitled “Ratcheting failure of pressurised straight pipes and elbows under reversed bending”, published in International Journal of Pressure Vessels and Piping, Vol. 105-106, May- June 2013, pp.79-89.
• Certificate of Merit is being awarded to Sindu B.S., Saptarshi Sasmal and Smitha Gopinath, for the paper entitled “A multi-scale approach for evaluating the mechanical characteristics of carbon nanotubes incorporated cementitious composites” published in Construction and Building Materials, Vol.50, 2014, pp.317-327.
• Certificate of Merit is being awarded to Sreekala R., Meher Prasad A., Muthumani K., Lakshmanan N., Nagesh R. Iyer, for the paper titled “Near fault earthquakes and behaviour of liquid storage tanks” published in Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol.40, No. 5, Dec 2013-Jan 2014, pp.433-441.
• Certificate of Merit is being awarded to Balaji Rao K., Anoop M.B., Raghava G., Prakash M., and Rajadurai A., for the paper titled “Probabilistic fatigue life analysis of welded steel plate railway bridge girders using S-N curve approach” published in Journal of Risk and Reliability, Vol.227, No.4, 2013, pp.385-404.
• NIGIS Corrosion Awareness Award: CSIR - Structural Engineering Research Centre was awarded the Excellent Laboratory Award by NACE International Gateway India Section (NIGIS) for the year 2014, under the leadership and team of Nagesh R. Iyer, Ravisankar K., Srinivasan P., Raghava G., Krishnamoorthy T.S., Rajasankar J., Palani G.S. The award was conferred for excellent contribution of CSIR-SERC to the field of corrosion science & technology by monitoring, testing, evaluation of performance and quality of materials, and research/development works. The document submitted by CSIR-SERC to NIGIS included the contributions by FFL in the areas of ‘Fatigue and corrosion fatigue studies on steel tubular joints of offshore jacket platforms’, ‘Fatigue crack growth studies on carbon steel and stainless steel straight pipes of power plants in demineralised water environment’, ‘Fatigue strength evaluation of corroded rails’, ‘Development of methodology for accelerated corrosion fatigue studies’ and ‘Studies on analytical modeling of corrosion fatigue crack growth’.
IPR & PATENTS
• Three applications have been filed, with complete specifications, for patent protection during 2002/ 2003. These relate to the following innovative developments: "Unconfined shear strength based concrete setting time apparatus", "Method for insitu stress assessment in concrete structures by core drilling" and "Damper device with Hysteretic Shear Polymer".
• SERC has secured the grant of an Indian patent on "An improved process for the production of pretensioned prestressed concrete structural elements using curtailed pretensioned tendons (wires or strands)".
• A computer software copyright has been filed on "COLD PRO- Cold Formed Sectional Properties Calculation".