Dr Umesha P.K
Dr Umesha P.K
Chief Scientist & Head, TTRS
CSIR-SERC, Tower Testing & Research Station
Chenna – 600 043
Phone:91 44 2264 1734/ 09600025842(Mobile)
- Ph.D (Civil Engineering), University of Mysore, Mysore, India, Thesis Title: “Parallel Computing Techniques for Structural Optimization.”
- M.Tech. (Structural Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, India
- B.E. (Civil Engineering), Malnad College of Engineering, University of Mysore, India, Second Rank for the University.
- Currently Chief Scientist and Head, Tower Testing & Research Station, CSIR-SERC
- Joined as Scientist in April 1984 at CSIR-SERC, Chennai
- Worked as Project Assistant from May 1982 to March 1984 at IITM, Chennai under BIS Project on Typification of Industrial Structures
- Under DAAD fellowship program worked in the area parallel computing techniques for analysis and design of structures at Ruhr University, Bochum, West Germany
- Involved in the following consultancy and Sponsored projects
- Analysis and design of free standing tower and guyed steel masts telecom sector
- Analysis, design and full scale testing of transmission line towers for power sector
- Structural habilitation, retrofitting and strengthening techniques for existing towers in telecom and power sectors
Professional Society memberships
- Fellow of Institution of Engineers
- Fellow of Indian Concrete Institute
- Life member Indian Association for Computational Mechanics
- Life member of Computer Society of India
- Life member of Advanced Computing Society
Areas of Scientific Interest
- Analytical and experimental studies of Communication and Transmission line towers
- Failure analysis of towers
- Analytical and experimental Studies on the strength behaviour of built-up components structures under simulated corrosion and elevated temperature
- High performance computing
- Computational Structural Mechanics.
Awards & Honours
- Fellow of Institution of Engineers (FIE)
- Fellow of Indian Concrete Institute (FICI)
- Awarded the Jai Krishna prize by Institution of Engineers for best research paper (2016)
- Awarded the CORROSION AWARENESS AWARD-2014 for Excellent Laboratory Award in recognition of meritorious contribution to the field of Corrosion Science and Technology by NACE International Gateway India Section
- Awarded “Excellence in High Performance Cluster Computing” by Sun Microsystems, 2004.
- Awarded the Certificate for Appreciation for the 1999 CSIR Technology Prize for engineering technology for the scientific contributions in the development of advanced computational methodologies, modeling techniques and software for analysis and design of complex structures.
- Awarded DFG fellowship for CSIR-KFA Bilateral programme for Carrying out Advanced R & D in Parallel Computing Techniques, DFG, West Germany, June 1997 – August 1997.
- Awarded DAAD Fellowship for Carrying out Advanced R & D in Parallel Computing Techniques for the year 1990-92, German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), West Germany.
- Received the of India Scholarship for M.Tech. Studies at IIT, Madras. (1980-1982).
- Received the Karnataka Govt. Plan Scholarship for B.E. Studies at Malnad College of Engineering, Hassan, University of Mysore. (1975-1980).
- Umesha, P.K., Ravichandran, R., Sivasubramanian K., ‘Crack detection and quantification in beams using wavelets’, International Journal of Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 24, November 2009, pp.593-607.
- Sivasubramanian, K., Umesha, P.K., ‘A graphical method for damage detection and quantification of structural systems’, Int. Journal of Multidiscipline Modeling in Materials and Structures(MMMS), Vol.4. No.2, 2008, 189-206.
- Umesha, P.K., Venuraju, M.T., Hartmann, D., Leimbach, K.R., ‘Parallel Computing Techniques for Sensitivity Analysis in Optimum Structural Design’, Int. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering(ASCE). 21(6), Nov/Dec. 2007, pp.463-477.
- Umesha, P.K., Venuraju, T., Hartmann, D., Leimbach, K.R., “Optimal design of truss structures using parallel computing”, Int. Journal of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Volume 29(4), 2005, pp.285 – 297.
- A, Umesha P.K., Vekraman, (2016), ‘Numerical studies on corroded steel angle members’, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 43(2), pp.197-205.
- A,.Umesha.P.K., Nagesh R.Iyer, (2014), An overview of corrosion and experimental studies on corroded mild steel compression members, KSCE Journal of civil engineering, Vol.18(6), pp 1735-1744.
- A,.Umesha.P.K., Nagesh R.Iyer, Lakshmanan (2015), ‘Peroformance-bsed seismic evaluation of RC framed building’, Journal of the Institution of Engineers (India), Series A 96(4), pp.285-294.
- Shanmuga Priya.D, Cinitha.A, Umesha P.K.,Nagesh R.Iyer, (2015), ‘A critical review on enhancing the seismic response of buildings with energy dissipation methods, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 42(3), pp.78-88.
- A., Umesha, P.K., Nagesh R. Iyer, (2013),Numerical investigation on structural behaviour of steel beams under elevated temperature, Journal of Structural Engineering, SERC, Vol.39 (5), pp.529-537.
- Shanmuga Priya.D, Cinitha.A, Umesha P.K.,Nagesh R.Iyer, (2014), Enhancing the seismic response of buildings with energy dissipation methods-An overview, Journal of civil engineering research, Vol. 4(2a),pp17-22,Doi:10.5923/CJCE.20141.04.
- Aparna Ben, R, Cinitha.A, Umesha.P.K., Eapen Sakaria, ‘Compressive Strength of Uniformly Corroded Steel Angle Members Retrofitted with CFRP’, International Journal of Emerging Technology and Advanced Engineering. 08/2014, 4(8), pp.463-470.
- Jinu Mary Mathew, Cinitha.A, P.K, Nagesh R.Iyer, Eapen Sakaria, (2014), Seismic response of RC building by considering soil structure interaction, International Journal of structural and civil engineering research, Vol.3, No.1, pp.160-172.
- Cinitha, A, P.K, Nagesh R. Iyer,(2014), Evaluation of seismic performance of existing steel buildings, American journal of civil and structural engineering, Vol. 1(2), pp.23-33.
- A, Umesha .P.K., Nagesh R. Iyer, (2014), Evaluation of seismic performance and review on retrofitting strategies of existing RC buildings, Asian journal of applied science, Vol. 7, No. 4, , pp.169-181.
- Cinitha A., Umesha P.K., Nagesh R Iyer,(2013), Performance levels and acceptance criteria for joints with rigid, semi-rigid and flexible connections, International journal of civil and structural engineering, Vol.3, No.3, pp.526-535.
- A., Umesha.P.K., Nagesh R.Iyer, (2012), Nonlinear static analysis to assess seismic performance and vulnerability of code-conforming RC buildings, WSEAS transactions on applied and theoretical mechanics,No.1,Vol.7, pp.39-48.
- A, Umesha.P.K., Nagesh R.Iyer,(2012), A rational approach for fundamental period of low and medium rise steel building frames, International journal of modern engineering research (IJMER), Vol.2(5), pp 3340-3346.
- Sivasubramanian, K., Rama Mohan Rao, A., Umesha, P.K., ‘Performance of seismically excited tall buildings with optimal vibration control algorithm’, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 34, No.1, April-May 2007, 70–79.
- K. K., Umesha, P.K., Kalappa, M.S. “Software based on Heuristic Technique for Optimization of Transmission Line Towers”, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 33, No.2, 2006, pp.157-166.
- Sivasubramanian, K., Rama Mohan Rao, A. and Umesha, P.K., ‘Control of structural responses of seismically excited buildings using predictive control algorithm’, Advances in Vibration Engineering, Vol. 4, No. 4., 2005, pp.397-414.
- Umesha, P.K., and Venuraju, M.T., “A parallel computer adaptive language for structural analysis on message passing systems”, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol.27, No.3, October 2000, pp.183 – 194.
Indian Patent (Under review process)
- Application No. : 0200/DEL/2007 dated 31.01.2007
- A novel transportable device for lifting and flaying animals
- Shri D Lakshmanan (CLRI), Dr. P.K. Umesha (SERC),Dr. P.K. Sehgal (CLRI),Dr. T. Ramasami (CLRI),Dr. N. Lakshmanan (SERC)
Indian Patent (Under review process)
- Application No. : 0269/DEL/2011 dated 04.02.2011
- An improved transportable device for flaying of dead animals
- Shri D Lakshmanan (CLRI),Shri R Veerapandian (Uma Industries), Dr. A Amudeswari (CLRI), Dr. P.K. Sehgal (CLRI), Dr. A.B. Mandal (CLRI), Dr. P.K. Umesha (SERC), Dr. Nagesh Ranganatha Iyer (SERC)
error: Content is protected - Content belongs to CSIR-SERC !!