- A novel design philosophy of seismic resistant design using dampers is being actively pursued. The seismic dampers have many variants, depending on the philosophy of energy dissipation.
- CSIR-SERC has designed, developed and patented many of these devices after subjecting them to a rigorous experimentation regime.
The type of dampers include
*metallic-yielding based X-plate,
*triangular devices and lead extrusion dampers,
*visco-elastic solid high damped rubber based devices,
*semi-active magneto rheological fluid based devices and re-centering,
*shape memory alloy based devices.
The design methodology developed is validated with shake table testing on model structures with dampers
X Plate PED Devices
Lead Extrusion Damper Device Seismic Base Isolation Device
Magneto Rheological Damper Device Visco – Elastic Device
Seismic Base Isolation Device
- CSIR-SERC in collaboration with M/s Rubber board of India has developed cost-effective and indigenously designed and developed natural rubber based seismic isolators, as an effective device for seismic mitigation.
- Software for carrying out the design of seismic base isolators has also been developed.
- An elaborate testing programme, including shake table testing is being conducted towards bench-marking the robustness of the material and its design philosophy.
- Suitable and ready-to-use design charts are also developed for use by design engineers.