With the state of the art facilities, research activities on development of new methodologies for enhancement of seismic resistance of structures including masonry structures, RCC and steel multi-storey structures, open ground storey buildings and bridges is being carried out. Active research is being carried out in the areas of passive &semi-active seismic control and seismic base isolation. A number of patents on seismic control devices are also being generated. Major laboratory investigations include:
- Development of conventional and non-conventional natural rubber based base isolation devices for seismic protection of buildings.
- Development of visco-elastic/hysteretic/MR dampers for seismic mitigation.
- Shape memory alloy based smart devices for seismic vibration control.
- Development of pushover analysis techniques for performance based analysis and design of structures & their experimental bench-marking.
- Study on seismic induced fluid –structure interaction effects.
- Shake table studies on soft storey buildings.
- Development of suitable retrofitting schemes for the various structural elements and systems.