Dr Ambily P.S
Principal Scientist & Head
- CSIR-SERC, Taramani, Chennai – 600 113.
- Academic Background
- Professional Background
- Areas of Scientific Interest
- Awards & Honours
- Ph.D, Civil Engineering, College of Engineering Guindy; Anna University, Chennai, on topic ‘Development of Ultra High Performance Concretes Using Geopolymer as Binder and Copper Slag as Filler’
- M. Tech, Structural Engineering, National Institute of Technology, Calicut, Kerala
- B.Tech., Civil Engineering, Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Technology, Govt Engineering College, Kottayam, Kerala
- Diploma, Computer Engineering, Sree Rama Govt Polytechnic, Valapad, Thrissur, Kerala
- Principal Scientist, Advanced Materials Laboratory, CSIR-Structural Engineering Research Centre , Chennai, 16th August 2017 – Till Date
- Senior Scientist, Advanced Materials Laboratory, CSIR-Structural Engineering Research Centre , Chennai, 16th August 2013 – August 2017
- Scientist, Advanced Materials Laboratory, CSIR-Structural Engineering Research Centre , Chennai, 16th August 2008 – August 2013
- Junior Scientist, Advanced Materials Laboratory , CSIR-Structural Engineering Research Centre, Chennai, 16th August 2004 – 15th August 2008
- Principal Member –Bureau of Indian Standards for Panel for Aggregates from other than natural sources, CED 2/P3.
- Member of Doctoral Committee of PhD Scholars at Anna University
- Member, Institution of Engineers (India) (M-152499-7)
- Life Member, Indian Concrete Institute (LM 8303)
- Life Member, Association of Consulting Civil Engineers (India) (LM No. 4135L)
Areas of Scientific Interest
- Concrete technology, building materials, use of industrial wastes such as fly ash, silica fume, blast furnace slag and its powder, copper slag, different types of cements, concrete chemicals, ultra high performance concrete, fiber reinforced concrete, fly ash concrete, lightweight aggregate concretes, geopolymer concretes, self compacting concrete, polymer concretes, mix design methodologies, particle packing theories for concrete ingredients for mix design, durability of concrete, NDT techniques, fly ash aggregates, prefab/precast technology, paver/building blocks.
Awards & Honours
- Received ICI (Chennai Centre) - UtraTech Award -2017 for Outstanding Young Concrete Engineer of Tamil Nadu.
- Received Indian Concrete Institute -Prof. V. Ramakrishnan Young Scientist Award 2018 on 22 September 2018 in the 26th ICI Annual Award function conducted at NIMHANS Convention Centre, Bengaluru
- Awarded First Prize under the theme Swachh Bharat for the best poster presented in the Young Scientists’ Conference of India International Science Festival 2018, for the paper titled ‘Micronized biomass silica as replacement for silica fume in Ultra High Performance Geopolymer concrete’ on 6th October 2018 at Indira Gandhi Pratishthan, Lucknow
- Received President of India’s Prize (2016) from Institution of Engineers (India)
- Best PhD thesis award, ICI-Ultra Tech Award 2015
- Received President of India’s Prize (2015) from Institution of Engineers (India)
- Best Researcher Award, EET CRS 3rd Technology Achievement Award-2015
- Dr M. Ramaiah Prize for the best technical paper published by the Scientists of CSIR-SERC during the year 2014-2015
- Best paper award (Civil engineering category) in the International Conference on Global Innovations in Technology and Science (ICGITS 2013), April 2013
- Received Certificate of merit (Dr. M. Ramaiah Prize) from CSIR-SERC for the best technical paper among those papers published by the Scientists of CSIR-SERC during 2012-2013
- Ambily, P.S., Umarani, C., Ravisankar, K, Prabhat Ranjan Prem, Bharatkumar, B. H., and Nagesh R. Iyer, ‘Studies on ultra high performance concrete incorporating copper slag as fine aggregate’, Construction and Building Materials, Vol. 77, Issue 2, February 2015, pp. 233- 240, IF:2.265.
- Ambily, P.S., Ravisankar, K, Umarani, C., and S. Sundar Kumar ‘Influence of Micronised biomass silica on workability and strength of Alkali activated slag concrete’, Journal of Scientific and industrial Research, Vol. 74, Issue 2, February 2015, pp. 98-101, IF:0.759.
- C.K. Madheswaran, P.S. Ambily, J.K. Dattatreya, G. Ramesh, ‘Experimental studies on behaviour of reinforced geopolymer concrete subjected to monotonic static loading’, Journal of The Institution of Engineers (India): Series A, DOI 10.1007/s40030-015-0115-1, June 2015, volume 96, issue 2, pp.139-149.
- CK Madheswaran, PS Ambily, JK Dattatreya, NP Rajamane, ‘Studies on use of copper slag as replacement material for river sand in building constructions’, Journal of The Institution of Engineers (India): Series A 95 (3), 169-177, 2014.
- Madheswaran C.K, Ambily P.S., Lakshmanan N., J.K Dattatreya, and Jaffer Sathik S A ‘Shear behaviour of reinforced geopolymer concrete thin webbed T beams’, ACI Materials Journal, vol.111, No.1, January-February 2014, , pp.89-98, IF: 1.123.
- N.P Rajamane, PS Ambily, MC Nataraja, Lelin Das, ‘Discussion: Modified Bolomey equation for strength of lightweight concretes containing fly ash aggregates, Magazine of Concrete Research, vol.66, issue 24, September 2014, pp.1286-1288, IF:0.78.
- Parukutty S Ambily, Kapali Ravisankar, Chockkalingam Umarani, Jamboor K Dattatreya, and Nagesh R Iyer, ‘Development of ultra-high-performance geopolymer concrete’, Magazine of Concrete Research, vol.66, issue 2, November 2013, pp.82-89, IF:0.78.
- Ambily, PS, BH, Bharatkumar and Nagesh R Iyer, ‘Geopolymer concrete blocks/Pavers for precast applications’, Concrete Plant International Journal, 5, October 2013, pp. 96-104.
- Rajamane N.P. and Ambily P.S., “Fly ash as a sand replacement material in concrete- A study, The Indian Concrete Journal, July, Vol.87, no.7,pp. 11-17.
- Rajamane N.P. and Ambily P.S , Discussion on fly ash as sand replacement material in concrete- A study, The Indian Concrete Journal, September, Vol.87, no.9, pp.44-48.
- Rajamane N. P. and Ambily P. S., “Modified bolomey equation for strengths of lightweight concretes containing fly ash aggregates”, Magazine of Concrete Research, Vol. 64, No 4, April, pp. 285-294 (IF-0.563)
- Rajamane N. P., J. Annie Peter and Ambily P S, , “Fly ash based alternate for Cement, and other ingredients in Concrete,” Mining Engineers’ Journal, Vol. 9, No 9, April, pp. 8 -19.
- Rajamane N.P., P. S. Ambily and D. Rajasekar, , “Load carrying capacity of Lightweight RC beams made of fly ash aggregate – a theoretical study”, Indian Concrete Institute Journal, Vol. 8, No 4, Jan-March, pp. 25 -29.
- Rajamane N. P., Annie Peter J. and Ambily P. S., , “Prediction of compressive strength of concrete with fly ash as sand replacement material”, Cement and Concrete Composites, Volume 29, Issue 3, March, pp. 218-223(35 citations since 2008-IF-2.37(2007)).
- Rajamane, N. P., Annie Peter J., and P. S. Ambily, , “Effect of fly ash in lightweight concrete containing ‘sintered fly ash aggregates”, Journal of the Institution of Engineers (India), Vol 87, February, pp. 32-36.
- Rajamane N P and Ambily P S, , “Discussion on Reproportioning concrete mixtures for rapid production of precast units”, Indian Concrete Institute Journal, Vol. 80, No. 7, July, pp. 10 -12.
- Rajamane N. P., J. Annie Peter, and P. S. Ambily, , “Fineness modulus as a representative mean particle size of concrete aggregates and its utility in theory of particle packing”, Indian Concrete Institute Journal, Vol. 6, No. 3, October-December, pp. 27-32.
- Rajamane, N. P, Annie Peter, J., and Ambily P. S., , “Discussion on Availability and management of fly ash in India”, Indian Concrete Journal, Vol. 79, No. 9, September, pp. 40-42.