Dr Saravanan M
- CSIR-SERC , Taramani, Chennai – 600 113.
- Academic Background
- Professional Background
- Areas of Scientific Interest
- Awards & Honours
- Ph.D (Structural Engineering) – IIT Madras, (Thesis title: Development of New Replaceable Earthquake-Resistant Partial-Strength Strong-Axis Moment-Resisting Steel Beam-to-Column Connection)
- M.E. (Structural Engineering), 2006-2008, Thiagarajar College of Engineering, Madurai
- B. E. (Civil Engineering), 2002-2005, Anna University
- Diploma in Civil Engineering, 1999-2002, DOTE, Chennai
- Senior Scientist, CSIR-SERC, (July 2016 – Present)
- Scientist, CSIR-SERC, (July 2011 – June 2016)
- Junior Scientist, CSIR-SERC, (June 2008 – June 2011)
- Site Engineer, Sobha Developers, Bangalore (December 2005 to August 2006)
- Project Engineer, Archit Builders Pvt. Ltd., Chennai (June 2005 to December 2005)
Areas of Scientific Interest
- Seismic resilient structures
- Hot rolled and cold formed steel structures
- Finite element analysis
- Performance based design
- Fiber Reinforced Polymer composites
Awards & Honours
- Received Certificate of Merit for the paper published during 2011-2012 from the Dr. Ramaiah Prize committee of CSIR-SERC
- Received Dr. Ramaiah Prize for the best technical paper published during 2010-2011 from CSIR-SERC
- Successfully completed the online course on “Fiber reinforced polymer (FRP) composites in structural engineering fiber reinforced polymer (FRP) composites in structural engineering”, TU Delft Extension School, Netherlands
- Visited Polytechnic University of Timisoara, Romania to present a paper in 10th international conference on the Behaviour of Steel Structures in Seismic Areas (STESSA’22)
- Reviewer for the Journal of Engineering Structures, International Journal of Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Journal of Building Engineering, Journal of Constructional Steel Research
- Review Editor for Frontiers in Built Environment
Membership of Profession Societies
- Indian Association for computational mechanics (IndACM) – Life Member
- Indian Association for Structural Engineering (IASE) – Life Member
Publications in SCI Journals
- Saravanan, M., Goswami, R. and Palani, G.S., “Design of a fuse link beam-to-column connection for earthquake resistant moment frames”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol. 192, May 2022, 107253
- Saravanan, M., Goswami, R. and Palani, G.S. Studies on moment-resisting fuse link beam-to-column connection for seismic resilient steel moment frame buildings, The 10th International Conference on the Behaviour of Steel Structures in Seismic Areas (STESSA), Timisoara, Romania, 25-27 May 2022
- Saravanan. M., Goswami. R. and Palani. G. S., (2021), “Energy dissipative beam-column connection for earthquake resistant moment frames”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol. 176, Jan. 2021, 106428.
- Saravanan. M., Goswami. R. and Palani, G. S., (2020), “Performance of special moment frame buildings with a new replaceable beam-column connection”, Indian Structural Steel Conference (ISSC 2020), 25-27, March 2020 – IIT Hyderabad, India
- Saravanan. M., Goswami. R. and Palani, G. S., (2018), “Replaceable fuses in earthquake resistant steel structures: A review”, International Journal of Steel Structures, Volume 18, Issue 3 Page 868-879.
- Saravanan. M., Marimuthu. V., Surendran. M., Prabha. P. and Palani. G. S. (2014), “Seismic characterization of cold formed steel pallet racks”, International journal of Earthquakes and Structures, Vol. 7 (6), December, 2014.
- Prabha. P., Marimuthu. V., Saravanan. M., Palani. G. S., Lakshmanan. N. and Senthil. R., (2013), “Effect of confinement on Steel-Concrete Composite Light-Weight Load-Bearing Wall Panels under Axial Compression”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol.81, pp.11-19,
- Saravanan. M., Marimuthu. V., Prabha. P., Jayachandran S. A. and Datta, D. (2012), Experimental investigations on composite slabs to evaluate longitudinal shear strength’, International Journal of Steel and Composite Structures, Volume 13, Number 5, November 2012, pages 489-500.
- Prabha. P., Jayachandran. S. A., Saravanan. M. and Marimuthu. V., (2011), “Prediction of the tensile capacity of cold formed angles experiencing shear lag”, Journal of Thin Walled structures, Vol.49, No.11, November 2011, pp.1348-1358.
- Prabha. P., Marimuthu. V., Saravanan. M. and Jayachandran. S. A., (2010), “Evaluation of connection flexibility in cold formed steel racks”, Journal of Constructional Steel Research, Vol.66, No.7, pp.863-872.
- Saravanan. M., Jayachandran. S. A., Marimuthu. V. and Prabha. P., (2009), “Advanced analysis of cyclic behaviour of plane steel frames with semi-rigid connections, International Journal of Steel and Composite structures, Vol.9, August 2009, No.4, pp.381-395
- Prabha. P., Rekha. S., Marimuthu. V., Saravanan. M., Palani. G. S., and Surendran. M., (2015), “Modified Frye-Morris polynomial model for double web angle connections”, International Journal of Advanced Structural Engineering, Springer-Open access, Volume 7, Issue 3, pp 295–306, September 2015, DOI 10.1007/s40091-015-0100-y.
Patents / Copyrights
- Saravanan, M., Goswami, R. and Palani, G.S., (2018) “Energy-dissipating replaceable fuse elements for steel beam-column connection”, National Patent application number. 201811047609, Dated: 17/12/2018.