Ms Sreekala R
Senior Principal Scientist
- Academic Background
- Professional Background
- Areas of Scientific Interest
- Awards & Honours
- M-Tech, Structural Engineering, Regional Engineering College, Calicut (Present NIT-Calicut), Kerala
- B-Tech, Civil Engineering, N.S.S. College of Engineering, Palakkad, Kerala
- Senior Principal Scientist, Advanced Seismic Testing and Research Laboratory, CSIR-Structural Engineering Research Centre, Chennai, July 2017 - till date.
- Principal Scientist, Advanced Seismic Testing and Research Laboratory, CSIR-Structural Engineering Research Centre, Chennai, July 2011 - July 2017
- Senior Scientist/ Scientist Gr.IV(3), Advanced Seismic Testing and Research Laboratory, CSIR-Structural Engineering Research Centre, Chennai, July 2006 - July 2011
- Scientist Gr.IV(2), Structural Dynamics Laboratory, CSIR-Structural Engineering Research Centre, Chennai, July 2001 - July 2006
- Teaching Experience – 02 years 07 months
Areas of Scientific Interest
- Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering
- Seismic Response Evaluation and Control
Awards & Honours
- National Merit Scholarship during 1991
- Secured 94.12 percentile for GATE during 1994
- Selected for the Award- instituted by SHAKTI- Vijnana Bharati, for the Best Technology Paper/Presentation during 2006.
- Awarded Certificate of Merit from CSIR-SERC for the paper published during 2013-2014., “R.Sreekala, A. Meher Prasad, K. Muthumani, N. Lakshmanan and Nagesh R Iyer., ‘Near Fault Earthquakes and Behaviour of Liquid Storage Tanks’, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol.40, No:5., Dec. 2013-Jan. 2014, pp 317-32.
- Attended the 14 th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (14 WCEE) Oct.12-17 held in Beijing-China.
Membership in Professional Bodies
- ISET life membership
- ISTE life Membership
- ICI life Membership
- ISC life Membership
Journal Publications (International/national)
- N.Ganesan and R. Sreekala, (1999), Fracture Characteristics of Latex modified SFRC, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol.26, No:1, April 1999,pp 49-54.
- N. Lakshmanan, K.Muthumani, N. Gopalakrishnan, K. Sathish kumar and R. Sreekala, (2006), Selective case studies of solution to vibration problems in power plant structures, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol.33, No: 1,April-May 2006,pp 31-43.
- R. Sreekala, N. Lakshmanan, K. Muthumani, K. Sathish Kumar and N. Gopalakrishnan, (2007)., “Evaluation of Damage Indices for RC beams under Cyclic loading – A simple technique” special issue Journal of Structural Engineering ISSN 0970-0137, April-May 2007 Vol. 34, No:1, pp 40-47.
- N. Lakshmanan, B.K.Raghuprasad, K.Muthumani, N. Gopalakrishnan, and R. Sreekala, (2007).,“Seismic damage estimation through measurable dynamic characteristics”, Computers and Concrete, Vol.4, No:3 June 2007 pp.167-186
- R. Sreekala, K..Muthumani, N. Lakshmanan N. Gopalakrishnan, K. Sathish kumar, G.R.Reddy and Y.M.Parulekar, (2007), Shape Memory Alloys for Seismic Response Control, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol.33, No:5, December 2006-January 2007,pp 383-389.
- R.Sreekala, K.Muthumani, (2008), “Structural Applications of Smart Materials” in Smart materials, edited by Mel Shwartz, Chapter No:4, Dec 2008, CRC press, Taylor and Francis Group
- N Lakshmanan, K Sathishkumar, R Sreekala, K Muthumani, J Guru and N Gopala Krishnan, (2008), “Experimental Investigations on the Seismic Response of a Base Isolated Reinforced Concrete Frame Model” , Journal of Performance of Constructed facilities, ASCE, September/October 2008, pp. 289-296.
- R. Sreekala, K. Muthumani, N. Lakshmanan, N. Gopalakrishnan and K. Sathish Kumar, (2008), “Orthodontic arch wires for seismic risk reduction”, Current Science, Vol.95, No:11, 10 DECEMBER 2008.pp 1593-1599.
- R.Sreekala, N. Lakshmanan., K. Muthumani., N., Gopalakrishnan., and K.,Sathish kumar, Potential of vibration studies in the soil characterization around power plants- a case study (2009)., Book of abstracts/proceedings “Sixth International Conference on Case histories in Geo technical Engineering and Symposium in honor of Professor James K Mitchell”, Arlington VA(USA),Paper Number 4.22, Aug 11-16, 2008, ISBN: 1-887009-13-2
- R. Sreekala, K. Muthumani, K. Sathish Kumar, N. Gopalakrishnan,2009 “Natural Rubber Latex Modified Fibre Concrete, (2009), Initial Studies on Structural Performance”, Indian Concrete Journal, Vol.83, No:10, October 2009, pp 29-35
- R Sreekala, N Lakshmanan, K Muthumani, A. Meher Prasad, and N Gopalakrishnan,” (2009), Aseismic Design with Pre defined Plastic Hinges- A Study”, Asian Journal of Civil Engineering (Building and housing), Vol.10, No:6, pp 691-700.
- R Sreekala, K Muthumani, N Lakshmanan, N Gopalakrishnan, K.Sathishkumar, G R Reddy and Y M Parulekar, (2010), “A Study on the suitability of NiTi wires for Passive Seismic Response Control” Journal of Advanced Materials-An International Journal, ISSN 1070-9789, April 2010, Vol.42,No:2, pp. 65-76.
- R Sreekala, K Muthumani, A Meher Prasad, N Gopalakrishnan, K.Sathishkumar, 2010 ” Towards a sustainable infrastructure through smart dampers”, special issue on sustainable built environment, Journal of Structural Engineering ISSN 0970-0137 , April-May 2010, Vol. 37 , No:1, pp 61-65.
- K Muthumani, N Lakshmanan, N Gopalakrishnan, K.Sathishkumar, R. Sreekala, G.V. Rama Rao” (2010), Damage Identification of Beam-like structures through static deflection and natural frequency as damage indicators”, ASCE- Indo-US Forensic Practices, pp. 87-98.ISBN No: 978-0-7844-1149-0
- N. Lakshmanan, B. K. Raghu Prasad, N. Gopalakrishnan, R. Sreekala and G.V. Rama Rao., (2010) “Comparative study on damage identification from Iso-Eigen-Value-Change contours and smeared damage model”, Structural Engineering and Mechanics - An International Journal, Vol. 35, No. 6, pp. 735-758.
- R Sreekala, K Muthumani, N Gopalakrishnan, K.Sathishkumar (2011) ‘Modelling flexural behavior of Polymer Modified Concrete, Building Research Journal , Institute of Construction and Architecture, Slovak Academy of Sciences, Vol.59, No.1-2, pp. 53-65.
- R Sreekala, N Lakshmanan, K Muthumani, N Gopalakrishnan, A Meher Prasad, (2011)., “Development of a simplified damage model for beams aiding performance based design” International journal of Advances in Structural Engineering- Vol. 14, No:2, pp:307-317, April, 2011.Multi Science Publishing, UK, DOI: 10.1260/1369-43188.8.131.527
- G.V. Rama Rao, R. Sreekala, N. Gopalakrishnan, K.Sathishkumar, K Muthumani, and N. Lakshmanan, (2011) “Coasting down signal analysis as a tool for detection of proximity of resonances and a case study”, Engineering Failure Analysis, Elsevier Publishers, ISSN: 1350-6307 ,18(2011), pp. 340-353
- G. V. Rama Rao, N. Gopalakrishnan, K. Muthumani, K. Sathish Kumar, R. Sreekala, Nagesh R. Iyer and G. R. Reddy, (2011),” Seismic response measurement of underwater spent fuel storage trays through high speed image processing”, Book of Abstracts, Vol.2, pp.797, SmiRT-21.
- R Sreekala, K Muthumani, A Meher Prasad, Nagesh R Iyer, (2011)” Pulse like ground Motions-Quantification on damage severity”, Book of Abstracts, Vol.1, pp459, SmiRT-21.
- R. Sreekala, A Meher Prasad, K. Muthumani (2011-12), An investigation into the liquid sloshing characteristics of ground anchored tanks during lateral vibration, International Journal of Emerging Multidisciplinary Fluid Sciences(IJEMFSc), Vol. 3, No: -5, 2011-2012, Multi Science Publishing, UK, doi: 10.1260/1756-8315.3.2-3.99
- R. Sreekala, A. Meher Prasad, K. Muthumani, N. Lakshmanan and Nagesh R Iyer., (2012), Dynamic Response of Liquid tanks for Near Fault Earthquakes, Book of extended abstracts- 15 th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (15 WCEE), 24-28 September 2012, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Y M Parulekar, G R Reddy, K K Vaze, S Guha, C Gupta, K Muthumani, R Sreekala, (2012) “Seismic response attenuation of structures using shape memory alloy dampers”, Volume 19, Issue 1, February 2012, Pages: 102–119 Structural Control and Health Monitoring, ISSN: 1545-2263. Article first published online: 6 DEC 2010, DOI: 10.1002/stc.428, Wiley online Library (wileyonlinelibrary.com).
- R Sreekala, K Muthumani, N Gopalakrishnan, K.Sathishkumar, G.V. Rama Rao and Nagesh R Iyer (2012) ‘Seismic Performance of Polymer Modified Concrete in Flexure – Modeling’, International Journal of Structural Engineering, Inder Science Publishers, Vol.3, No.4, pp. 298-310.
- Raghu Prasad, B. K.,Lakshmanan N., Gopalakrishnan N, Sathish Kumar K and Sreekala. R. (2012) ‘Damage Identification of beam-like structures with contiguous and distributed damage”, Structural Control and Health Monitoring, On line:02/03/2012, DOI: 10.1002/stc.511.
- Sreekala, R., Gopalakrishnan, N., Muthumani, K., Sathish Kumar, K., Rama Rao, G.V. and Nagesh R. Iyer.,2013 ‘Seismic protection of critical infra-structures through innovative technologies’, International Journal of Critical Infrastructures, Vo.9. No:4, 2013, pp:-351-367. DOI:10.1504/IJCIS.2013.058173
- R. Sreekala, A. Meher Prasad, K. Muthumani, N. Lakshmanan and Nagesh R Iyer.,2014 “Near Fault Earthquakes and behavior of liquid storage tanks”, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol.40, No:5., December 2013- January 2014, pp: -433-441
- G. V. Rama Rao, T. T. Davis, R. Sreekala, N. Gopala Krishnan, Nagesh R. Iyer and N. Lakshmanan (2015) ‘Damage identification through wave propagation and vibration based methodology for an axial structural element’, Journal of Vibration Engineering & Technologies, (formerly Advances in vibration Engineering), Vol. 3 (4), pp. 383-399 , Springer publications, Switzerland
- Divyah.N, Sreekala.R, Sathish kumar. K, Gopalakrishnan.N, Senthil Kumar.G.,(2015), “Seismic Disaster Mitigation using visco elastic dampers”, International Journal of Applied Engineering Research, ISSN 0973-4562, Vol.10, No:19,pp. 14194-14199.
- G. V. Rama Rao, R. Sreekala, K. Sathishkumar, N. Gopala Krishnan, K. Muthumani, Nagesh R. Iyer, N. Lakshmanan and G. R. Reddy (2016) ‘Seismic response measurement of an under-water model through high speed camera and feature tracking’, Experimental Techniques, Vol. 40 (1), pp. 83-90, Published online, DOI: 10.1111/ext.12041
- K. Varun Kumar, T. Jothi Saravanan, R. Sreekala, N. Gopalakrishnan, K.M. Mini., 2017, ‘Structural damage detection through longitudinal wave propagation using spectral finite element method’, Geo Mechanics and Engineering, Techno press publications., Vol.12, No:1, (2017), pp.161-183,DOI: https://doi.org/10.12989/gae.2017.12.1.161, IF:-1.818.
Contribution to Book
- R.Sreekala, K.Muthumani, a Chapter on “Structural Application of Smart Materials” in Smart materials, edited by Mel Shwartz, Chapter No: 4, Dec 2008, CRC press, Taylor & Francis Group.
- R.Sreekala, K.Muthumani, Nagesh R Iyer, a Chapter on “Seismic response control using Smart Materials” in Vibration Control New Trends and Developments, edited by Francisco Beltran-Carbajal, Chapter No: 9, Aug 2011, In Tech Publishers, ISBN 978-953-307-433-7.
- Nadig, K, Sreekala R, Kumar.,S; and Simon J ,Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering, “Floor Response Spectra- An Investigation on a Hospital Building” Vol. 78, Sanjay Kumar Shukla et al. (Eds): Smart Technologies for Sustainable Development, 978-981-15-5000-3, 482596_1_En, (Chapter 28), Springer Nature.
Patents / Copyrights
- Patent has been filed on “Earthquake Protection device for bridges”- Patent Application No: - "2066/DEL/2010" with date of filing 31/08/2010.
- Patent has been filed on “Smart energy harvesters for self-sustaining structural health monitoring system”- Patent Application No: 0359/DEL/2015 with date of filing 10/02/2015