डॉ स्मिता गोपीनाथ
- CSIR-SERC , Taramani, Chennai – 600 113.
- Academic Background
- Professional Background
- Areas of Scientific Interest
- Awards & Honours
- PhD (In the area of Textile Reinforced Concrete) IITMadras, Chennai, India.
- ME in Structural Engineering, PSG College of Technology, Coimbatore
- B.Tech in Civil Engineering (Honours), Govt. Engineering College Thrissur, Kerala
Scientist, CSIR-Structural Engineering Research Centre
Professional Committee Memberships
- Alternate member in the Committee CED54: Concrete Reinforcement Sectional Committee of Bureau of Indian standards.
- Alternate member in the Committee CED:46/P:7, Panel for masonry of Bureau of Indian standards.
- Principal member in Sectional Committee TX34 on Technical Textiles for Build Tech Applications of Bureau of Indian standards.
- Individual Life Member of Indian Concrete Institute
- Rilem, (Senior member & Two Technical committee membership)
- Principal Investigator for project “Development of textile reinforced polymer modified mortar for retrofitting applications” under CNR-CSIR bilateral programme (2012-2014) with ICTP, Italy.
- Team member of UGC-UKERI Research programme (September-2014 to August 2016), for the project “Retrofitting and rehabilitation of reinforced concrete beams using ultra high performance concrete and basalt reinforced concrete overlay” between CSIR-SERC, India and Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK.
- Research grant award for “Textile Reinforced Concrete Median Barrier as Cost-Effective Life Saving Technology” under Scheme for Young Scientists and Technologists by SEED division, Department of Science and Technology (July 2015-October 2017).
Areas of Scientific Interest
- Textile Reinforced Concrete
- Computational Modeling of Concrete Composites
- Repair & Retrofitting of Structures
Awards & Honours
- Received Consolation prize to the “ Easy to Build Textile Reinforced Concrete Toilet” in the National Level Competition “Ideas for Nav Bharat Nirman” at India International Science festival IISF-2017, 15October 2017.
- Gold medal for securing 100% in Mathematics in 10th standard, Kerala State Board, 1992.
- Merit award for securing 100% in Mathematics in Pre-Degree, Calicut University, 1994.
- Gold Medal for the best student in Structural Design during B.Tech.
- Madurai Kamaraj Scholarship for the best student in Master of Engineering.
- M. Ramaiah Prize for the best technical paper published by the Scientists of CSIR-SERC during the year 2009-2010.
- “L&T Dr.A. Ramakrishna Young Engineer Award-2012”, Institution of Engineers, India.
- Best Paper Award in the International Conference on Advances in Civil Engineering and Chemistry of Innovative Materials, March 2014.
- Best Paper Award in Intl conf on Emerging Trends Science, Engineering and Technology, April 2014.
- Certificate of merit by the Dr. Ramaiah Prize committee among the papers published by the Scientists of CSIR-SERC during 2013-2014.
- Recognized as an “India’s Most Inspiring Women Scientist/Engineer” for the year 2014 by one of India’s most prestigious magazine dedicated to Engineering Community- Engineering watch on the occasion of Intl women’s day 2014.
- Recognized as one of the “Path Finder“, 2014 by Project monitor -India’s leading portal on project news dedicated to the world of projects in the infrastructure and construction space promoted by Economic Research India Pvt. Ltd.
- Best Paper Award in Intl Conf. on Advances in Civil Engineering and Sustainable Construction (ACESC), March 2016
- ICI-Young Scientist Award -2016, Indian Concrete Institute, India.
- M. Ramaiah Prize for the best technical paper published by the Scientists of CSIR-SERC during the year 2015-2016.
- Smitha Gopinath, Amar Prakash, Farvaze Ahmed AK, Analogy of novel TRC crash barriers with RC crash barrier under impact load, Intl journal of crashworthiness, DOI: 10.1080/13588265.2020.1858663, published online 11dec2020, IF=1.477.
- SmithaGopinath, Abhishek Kumar, Artificial Neural Network-Based Numerical Model to Predict Flexural Capacity of Masonry Panels Strengthened with Textile Reinforced Mortar, Journal of Composites for Construction, ASCE, 2021, 25(1): 06020004, Feb 2021, https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CC.1943-5614.0001104, published online on December 7, 2020, IF= 2.606;
- Smitha Gopinath, Amar Prakash, Farvaze Ahmed AK, Flexural Impact Response and Enegry Absorption Characteristics of Textile Reinforced Mortar, Construction and Building Materials, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.120630, published online 1sep2020, Volume 262, 30 November 2020, 120630, IF=4.419
- Smitha Gopinath, Ramesh Gopal, E.Lavanya, Bending Properties of Textile Reinforced Concrete Sandwich Beams with Gypsum and Calcium Silicate Core, Journal of sandwich structures & materials, First Published online 20 June2020, pp:1-16, https://doi.org/10.1177/1099636220935565, IF=5.015
- Smitha Gopinath, Amar Prakash, Farvaze Ahmed AK, Synergy of Hybrid Textile Reinforced Concrete under Impact Loading, Sadhana, (2020),45:72, pp:1-11; https://doi.org/10.1007/s12046-020-1312-9, IF=0.769.
- Smitha Gopinath, J. Prabhakar, C.K. Madheswaran, Thivya Devi K.G, Strengthening of Load Bearing Masonry Wall Panels with Externally Bonded Precast Textile Reinforced Concrete Laminate, Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, NISCAIR, Vol. 79, March 2020, pp. 241-245, IF=0.735.
- Smitha Gopinath, C.K. Madheswaran, J. Prabhakar, Thivya Devi K.G, C Lakshmi Anuhya, , Strengthening of Unreinforced Brick Masonry Panel using Cast-in-Place and Precast Textile Reinforced Concrete, Journal of Earthquake Engineering, published online 26jan2020, https://doi.org/10.1080/13632469.2020.1713926 , pp: 1-19, IF=2.754.
- Smitha Gopinath, Amar Prakash, Aahrthy R, Bhavani Harish M, Investigations on the Influence of Matrix and Textile on the Response of Textile Reinforced Concrete Slabs under Impact Loading, (2018), Sadhana, 43:172 https://doi.org/10.1007/s12046-018-0933-8, first online 12 sep2018, Vol 43, issue 11, November 2018, IF=0.592.
- Smitha Gopinath, RavindraGettu, NageshR.Iyer , Influence of prestressing the textile on the tensile behaviour of textile reinforced concrete, Materials and Structures (2018) 51: 64. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-018-1194-z, published first online 8th May 2018, IF=2.607.
- Akshay D. Mahajan; Ramachandra Murthy, A.; Nanda Kumar, M.R.; Smitha Gopinath, Damage tolerant analysis of cracked al 2024-t3 panels repaired with single boron/epoxy patch, Journal of the Institution of Engineers India - Series A, Published online 23March 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s40030-018-0279-6
- Smitha Gopinath; Irene Bonadies; Carfagna C; Maheswaran S, A. Ramachandra Murthy; Nagesh R. Iyer, Investigations on ground rubber tire powder incorporated textile reinforced concrete for flexural strengthening of RC beams, Journal of Structural Engineering, CSIR, Vol:44, No:6, Feb-March 2018, pp:605-612.
- Subashini I, Smitha Gopinath, Aahrthy R, Low Velocity Impact Response and Failure Assessment of Textile Reinforced Concrete Slabs , Computers Materials and Continua, vol.53, no.4, pp.291-306, 2017, IF=0.339.
- S. Maheswaran, V. Ramesh Kumar, Mohammed SaffiqReheman, Smitha Gopinath, A. Rama Chandra Murthy, Nagesh R. Iyer, Effect of lime water on the properties of silica fume blended cementitious composite , Indian Journal of Engineering and Material Science, Vol. 24, December 2017, pp. 491-498, IF=0.485.
- Smitha Gopinath, M Prabha, A Ramachandra Murthy, Nagesh R Iyer, Modelling of RC beams Strengthened with Basalt Reinforced Concrete, Journal of The Institution of Engineers (India): Series A, DOI 10.1007/s40030-017-0223-1,published online 18sep2017.
- Smitha Gopinath, P. Nachiappan, A. Ramachandramurthy, Nagesh R Iyer, Use of Basalt Fiber Reinforced Polymer Bars in the Development of Hybrid Beam - Investigations on the Flexural Response, Indian Journal of Engineering & Materials Sciences Vol. 24, April 2017, pp. 153-161, IF=0.485.
- Smitha Gopinath, Nagesh R. Iyer, Ravindra Gettu, Finite element analysis of RC beams strengthened with textile reinforced concrete, Journal of Structural engineering (JoSE), CSIR-SERC, Vol:43, No:5, December 2016-January 2017, pp:454-460.
- Smitha Gopinath, A.Ramachandra Murthy, Nagesh R.Iyer A Novel Pre-Fabrication Technology to Produce Textile Reinforced Concrete Structural and Non-structural Components, Journal of Scientific and Industrial Research, Vol:75, December 2016, pp:735-739, IF=0.385.
- Smitha Gopinath, A.Ramachandra Murthy, Nagesh R. Iyer, Strengthening of RC beams with Textile Reinforced Concrete Overlays Produced using Textile reinforced Concrete Prototyping Technology, Indian Concrete Journal, Vo:90, No:9, September 2016, pp:25-31.
- Sarayu, Smitha Gopinath, Murthy A. Ramachandra, Nagesh R. Iyer, (2016), Structural stability of basalt fibers with varying biochemical conditions- a invitro and invivo study, Journal of Building Engineering, Vol:7, 2016,38-45.
- Wolfgang BRAMESHUBER; M. Hinzen, A. Dubey, A. Peled, Mobasher, A. Bentur, C. Aldea, F. Silva, J. Hegger, T. Gries, J. Wastiels, K. Malaga, C. Papanicolaou, L. Taerwe, M. Curbach, V. Mechtcherine, A. Naaman, J. Orlowsky, P. Hamelin, H.-W. Reinhardt, S. Shah, R. Toledo, T Triantafillou, A. Larbi, D. Garcia, L. Garmendia, S. Gopinath, F. Jesse, (2016), Recommendation of RILEM TC 232-TDT: Test methods and design of textile reinforced concrete, Materials and structures, , DOI: 10.1617/s11527-016-0839-z, First online: 04 May 2016, IF=1.714.
- Ghanashyam Upreti, A.Ramachandra Murthy, Smitha Gopinath, Nagesh R.Iyer, L.Venkat, “Strength and ductility of RC beams strengthened with ultra high strength cementitious composite overlay”, Journal of Structural Engineering, vol:43, No:2, June-July 2016, pp:190-198.
- Smitha Gopinath, A. Ramachandra Murthy, Husain Patrawala, (2016), Near surface mounted strengthening of RC beams using basalt fiber reinforced polymer bars, Construction and building material, Vol:111, pp.1-8,Published online 21-feb-2016, DOI: 10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.02.046, IF:2.296.
- Smitha Gopinath, Avadhanam Ramachandra Murthy, Nagesh R. Iyer, Ramamoorthy Dharinee, Investigations on textile-reinforced concrete as cover for RC beams, Published Online: 2February 2016, Magazine of Concrete Research, DOI: 10.1680/jmacr.15.00161.
- Nanda Kumar, M.R, A. Ramachandra Murthy, Smitha Gopinath, Nagesh R. Iyer, XFEM for fatigue and fracture analysis of cracked stiffened panels, Structural Engineering and Mechanics, Vol. 57, No. 1 (2016) 65-89, DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.12989/sem.2016.57.1.065.
- Smitha Gopinath, A. Rama Chandra Murthy, Nagesh R. Iyer, S. Kokila, Evaluation of Eco-efficiency and Performance of Retrofit Materials”, Journal of The Institution of Engineers (India): Series A, Volume 96,Issue 4, pp:327-337, December 2015.
- Smitha Gopinath, A. Rama Chandra Murthy, Nagesh R. Iyer, Monotonic and Low Cycle Fatigue Behaviour of Concrete Beams Strengthened with Textile Reinforced Concrete U-wrap , Indian journal of Engineering and Material Science,Vol:22, 331-338, June 2015.
- Smitha Gopinath, Nagesh R. Iyer, Ramachandra Murthy, S.Aishwariya, Numerical Investigations on Damaged RC beams Strengthened with Textile Reinforced Concrete, ISTE-International Journal of Civil Engineering, ISSN 2394-3041, 1(1), pp:26-48, Jan-June 2015.
- Smitha Gopinath, A Ramachandra Murthy, Nagesh R Iyer, and M Prabha, “Behaviour of reinforced concrete beams strengthened with basalt textile reinforced concrete”, Journal of Industrial Textiles, Vol. 44, No. 6, 924-933, May 2015.
- Smriti Raj, V. Ramesh Kumar, B.H. Bharath Kumar, Smitha Gopinath, Nagesh R. Iyer, Flexural studies on Basalt Fiber Reinforced Composite sandwich panel with profile sheet as core, Construction and Building Materials, 82(1), pp: 391-400, 2015.
- Ramachandra Murthy, Rakhi Sara Mathew , G. S. Palani, Smitha Gopinath and Nagesh R. Iyer, Fracture analysis and remaining life prediction of aluminium alloy 2014A plate panels with concentric stiffeners under fatigue loading, Structural Engineering and Mechanics, 53(4), pp: 681-702, 2015.
- Smitha Gopinath, V. Ramesh Kumar, S. Harishkumar, A. Ramachandra Murthy, Nagesh R. Iyer, Pre-fabricated Sandwich Panels using Cold Form Steel and Textile Reinforced Concrete, Construction and Building Materials, 64, pp: 54-59, 2014.
- Ramachandra Murthy, V.Ramesh Kumar, Smitha Gopinath, Prabhat Ranjan Prem, Nagesh R.Iyer, Reshmi Balakrishnan, Structural Performance of Precast and Cast-In-Situ Ultra High Strength Concrete Sandwich Panel, Intl jnl: Computers, Materials, & Continua, 44(1), pp.59-72, 2014.
- Smitha Gopinath, R. Ayashwarya, V. Ramesh Kumar, Prabhat Ranjan Prem, A. Ramachandra Murthy, C.K. Madheswaran, Nagesh R. Iyer, Low velocity impact behaviour of ultra high strength concrete panels, Sadhana, 1-11, DOI:10.1007/s12046-014-0280-3, 2014.
- Ananthalekshmi K.Iyer, A. Ramachandra Murthy, Smitha Gopinath, Nagesh R.Iyer, An Integrated Fracture Mechanics Based Approach for Non-Linear Analysis of Lightly Reinforced Concrete Beams , CMC: Computers, Materials & Continua, Vol. 42, No. 3, pp. 227-244, 2014.
- Sindu, B.S., Saptarshi Sasmal and Smitha Gopinath, “Methodology for evaluating the properties of carbon nano tubes for engineering applications‟, Journal of Nanotechnology and Materials Science, Vol. 1, pp. 1-8,2014.
- B S Sindu, Saptarshi Sasmal, Smitha Gopinath, A multi-scale approach for evaluating the mechanical characteristics of carbon nanotube incorporated cementitious composites, Construction and Building Materials, Construction and Building Materials, 50 , pp: 317–327, 2014.
- Smitha Gopinath, J. Rajasankar, Nagesh R. Iyer & A. Ramachandra Murthy, “An integrated model for tension stiffening and reinforcement corrosion of RC flexural members”, Computers Materials and Continua, vol.33, no.1, pp.87-110, 2013.
- Smitha Gopinath, A. Ramachandra Murthy, & Nagesh R. Iyer, “Experimental Investigations on the Glass Fabrics for Confinement of Concrete Specimens”, Structural Durability and Health Monitoring, Vol.9, no:1, pp1-20, 2013
- Smitha Gopinath, C.K. Madheswaran, A. Rama Chandra Murthy, Nagesh. R. Iyer, Barkavi.T, Low and High Velocity Impact Studies on Fabric Reinforced Concrete Panels, Intl Jnl: CMES: Computer Modeling in Engineering & Sciences, Vol. 92, No. 2, pp. 151-172, 2013.
- A. Ramachandra Murthy, G.S. Palani, Smitha Gopinath, V. Ramesh Kumar and Nagesh R. Iyer, “An Improved Concrete Damage Model for Impact Analysis of Concrete Structural Components by using Finite Element Method”, CMC: Computers Materials and Continnua, Vol.37, no.2, pp.77-96, 2013.
- Smitha Gopinath, J. Rajasankar, Nagesh R. Iyer, “Nonlinear Analysis of RC Structures using Isotropic Damage Model”, International Journal of Damage Mechanics, 21(5), pp:647-669, 2012.
- Smitha Gopinath, Nagesh R. Iyer, J. Rajasankar and Sandra D’Souza, Nonlinear analysis of RC shell structures using multilevel modelling techniques , Engineering Computations: International Journal for Computer-Aided Engineering and Software, Vol. 29 No. 2, pp. 104-124 ,2012.
- Smitha Gopinath, A. Ramachandra Murthy, Bhaskar Srivastava, V. Ramesh kumar and Nagesh R. Iyer, Confinement Effect of Woven roving glass fabric on Concrete Specimens, CMC, vol.27, no.1, pp.73-99, 2012.
- A. Ramachandra Murthy, G.S.Palani, Nagesh R. Iyer, Smitha Gopinath, B.K.Raghu Prasad, Residual strength evaluation of concrete structural components under fatigue loading, Sadhana, Vol. 37, Part 1, pp. 133–147,2012.
- Smitha Gopinath, P.Chandra Mouli, A. Rama Chandra Murthy, Nagesh R. Iyer, S. Maheswaran, “Effects of nano silica on mechanical properties and durability of normal strength concrete”, Archives of civil Engineering, LVIII, 4,pp.433-444,2012.
- Sindu B S, Saptarshi Sasmal, Smitha Gopinath, Numerical simulation of CNT incorporated cement, World academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, Issue 68, pp.1553-1558, August 2012.
- A. Ramachandra Murthy, G.S. Palani, Nagesh R. Iyer, Smitha Gopinath and V. Ramesh Kumar, Impact failure analysis of reinforced concrete structural components by using finite element method, CMES: Computer Modeling in Engineering & Sciences, Vol. 86, No. 5, pp. 409-434, 2012.
- Smitha Gopinath, A. Ramachandra Murthy, Nagesh R. Iyer, (2011), “Nonlinear finite element analysis of RC structures incorporating corrosion effects”, Computers Materials and Continua : CMC, vol.22, no.1, pp.55-71, 2011.
- Smitha Gopinath, Nagesh R. Iyer, Ravindra Gettu, G.S. Palani, A. Ramachandra Murthy, “Confinement effect of glass fabrics bonded with cementitious and organic binders”, Proceedia Engineering, Vol: 14, pp: 535–542,2011.
- A Rama Chandra Murthy, Smitha Gopinath, Ashish Shrivastav, G. S. Palani, & Nagesh R. Iyer, Fracture Mechanics based model for Remaining Life Prediction of RC beams Considering Corrosion Effects, CMC, vol.25, no.1, pp.:1-17,2011.
- Smitha Gopinath, A. Ramachandra Murthy, G.S. Palani, D. Ramya & Nagesh R. Iyer , Optimised Mix Design for Normal Strength and High Performance Concrete using Particle Packing Method, Archives of Civil Engineering LVII, 4, pp.357-371, 2011.
- Ayan Haldar, Smitha Gopinath, G.S. Palani and Nagesh R. Iyer, “Effect of Creep, Shrinkage and Cracking on Time Dependent Behaviour of RC Structures”, Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol:36, No:6, pp: 387-392,2010.
- A. Ramachandra Murthy, G.S. Palani, Nagesh R. Iyer , K.B .RaghuPrasad, Srinivasa Pavan and Smitha Gopinath, Fracture analysis of concrete structural components accounting for tension softening effect, CMC, vol.19, no.2, pp.135-154, 2010.
- Smitha Gopinath, J. Rajasankar, Nagesh R. Iyer, T.S. Krishnamoorthy, B.H.Bharat kumar, & N. Lakshmanan, “A strain based model for concrete under tension in nonlinear finite element analysis of RC flexural members”, Structural Durability and Health Monitoring (SDHM), Vol. 5, No. 4, pp. 311-336,2009.
- Rama Chandra Murthy, A, G.S. Palani, Nagesh. Iyer, Smitha Gopinath, “A methodology for remaining life prediction of concrete structural components accounting for tension softening effect”, Computers and Concrete, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp: 261-277, 2008.
- Rajasankar, Nagesh R. Iyer and Smitha Gopinath, Probabilistic modeling of fatigue crack initiation from pits and pit clusters in aluminum alloys, Corrosion Engineering Science and Technology,Vol:42,No:3,pp. 260-265, 2007.
Patents / Copyrights
- Smitha Gopinath, Amar Prakash, A.K. Farvaze Ahmed, J.Rajasankar, -“An Apparatus and Method for Production of Precast Textile Reinforced Concrete Crash Barriers”, Indian patent application No: 201811001406
- Smitha Gopinath, A.Ramachandra Murthy, Nagesh R.Iyer, “Method and Apparatus for Producing Textile/Fabric Reinforced Composite sheets and Products, Indian Patent Application Number: 2751DEL2014.
- Smitha Gopinath, Nagesh R.Iyer , An Apparatus For Cast-In-Place Strengthening Of Structural Members Using Textile Reinforced Concrete and method thereof, Indian Patent Application Number: 2339DEL2015.